TULIP/Tenant User Liability Insurance

TULIP/Tenant User Liability Insurance  


Individuals and outside organizations may hold events at the facilities within the school district provided they:

  • Obtain written permission from the facility in charge of the space they wish to use
  • Provide a Certificate of Insurance for liability coverage for the event

This insurance provides protection when you host activities that fall outside the scope of your General Liability Insurance or in instances where you do not currently carry General Liability Insurance as is required by the school district. Event Liability Insurance provides liability coverage and legal defense for claims of negligence brought on the basis of mismanagement, improper security, failure to maintain equipment/fixtures, and more.

As you plan your event, it's essential that you make the appropriate insurance arrangements. Don't put it off; take care of the insurance now!

Please click on the ‘Hazard Class Chart’ button below to find the following:

  • The appropriate hazard class for your non-sport and/or sport event;
  • To determine any potentially necessary waiver requirements;
  • To determine possible requirements for Accident Medical insurance.


Hazard Class Chart



Apply, pay and print your Certificate of Insurance quickly and securely online 24/7 or see option 2 if you prefer to download an application form.

Option 1: Click the ‘Apply Now’ button on this page to access the simple and secure online event liability application. The application will automatically direct you to include accident medical insurance when required for sports participants. Then, pay with a credit card, print your Certificate for proof of insurance and you’re done! (If your application requires underwriting review, it will be sent automatically to the underwriting team and a copy will be emailed to you.)

Option 2: Click on the “Event Liability Application Form” button to download the application. Complete and sign the application and email it to Mercer Consumer at plsdsteam.service@mercer.com or fax it to us at 1-515-365-3005. Please allow 1 to 3 business days for processing. Next, we will email a quote with an invoice to the applicant’s email address. The quote must be signed and returned to Mercer at plsdsteam.service@mercer.com before we can take payment.

Once the application is approved and the payment is processed, a Certificate of Insurance will be emailed to the applicant. If you have questions, our service center is available at 1-866-838-9536 from 8am-5pm (CT), Monday- Friday.

Regardless of which option you select to apply, please note, the Certificate of Insurance for which you are applying may be subject to additional approval requirements by the underwriting Insurance Company. Please be sure to submit your application at least 7 to 10 days prior to the event date in order to meet your organization’s event insurance needs. Submission of a completed application and/or premium payment is not a guarantee of coverage. Coverage is not in place for your event until Certificate of Insurance is provided.

During the renewal process and website update in January, you may complete the online application, however, issuance of the Certificate of Insurance will be placed on hold with our service center until the new policy information is available. If you have an urgent need to obtain a Certificate of Insurance during this time, please call us at 1-866-838-9536.


Apply for coverage!


Event Liability Application Form


Prior to the event, you must deliver a Certificate of Insurance to the facility in charge of the space.


If you already have insurance coverage, please have your insurance company send the facility in charge of the space a Certificate of Insurance with the following specifications:

  • You or your company must be listed as the Insured.
  • Any event sponsor(s) must be listed as an Additional Insured(s).
  • The Insurer/Producer name and contact information must be on the Certificate.
  • The policy start and end date must encompass the entire length of your event.
  • The policy must include General Liability coverage of at least $1,000,000.
  • If you are bringing employees, the policy must include evidence of Workers’ Compensation coverage.
  • The Certificate of Insurance must provide 30 days’ advance written notice for any modification, change, or cancellation of any component of the insurance coverage.


If you DO NOT have insurance coverage of your own, you may obtain coverage by filling out the online or paper (pdf) application provided on this website. Payment must be received prior to the event. A Certificate of Insurance will be issued upon receipt of payment. The Certificate of Insurance is your proof of coverage. Present it to the facility in charge of the space prior to the event.

Participants Legal Liability provides coverage for claims you are legally obligated to pay because of actions brought against you, the Named Insured, by players and/or other participant(s). Participant means any player, coach, manager, staff member, team worker, official, media personnel, cheerleader, or band member practicing for, or participating in, the sporting event. This means all of your team members and players and any participating non-members! Participant liability insurance, like all liability policies, would provide coverage to the injured party only if the tenant user were liable.

****Failure to comply with one, or both, of the following requirements will affect Participant Legal Liability in place for any event even if a Certificate of Insurance is provided.****

For sports participants, it is required to have Accident Medical coverage in force. Failure to purchase Accident Medical insurance with limits no less than $25,000 will mean that Participants Legal Liability coverage will be void for all players/participants. When completing the online or paper application for sporting events with participants/players/campers, Accident Medical insurance of $25,000 will be automatically be added to the coverage. See below for coverage details and claims reporting information.

For sports participants, it is also required to have an adequate Waiver and Release form system in place to regularly secure Waiver and Release or Minor Waiver and Release forms or Participants Legal Liability will be void in the event of an occurrence to a player/participant.


Accident Medical insurance of at least $25,000 is required and therefore included for all sports events that include coverage for participants/players/campers. Plan details are provided in the FAQs below.
  • What does this plan cover?

    The annual Master Policy renewal occurs on January 1.  This insurance coverage applies on an excess basis only.  The participant's personal health insurance policy will primarily cover accident and sickness claims.  This excess accident medical policy will cover any out-of-pocket expense not paid by the participant's personal health insurance up to the limits of the policy (see Coverage Benefits table below).  This includes payment of the deductible and coinsurance amounts if applied under the participant's personal health insurance policy.  For accidents, the first expense must be incurred within 180 days of the accident.  


    If the participant does not have personal health insurance coverage, this excess accident medical insurance policy will pay first dollar, up to the limits of this policy.  


    This policy does not cover pre-existing conditions.  A pre-existing condition is any condition for which a prudent person should have sought treatment or was treated in the previous six months. 


    Coverage Benefits*



    Accident/Medical Expense (Excess)


    Benefit Maximum


    Benefit Period

    1 years (from the date of the covered accident)


    $0 (per covered accident)

    Emergency Room


    Outpatient X-Ray, CT Scan, MRI, Lab Tests


    Physician Services


    Ambulance Services


    Prescription Drug Benefit


    Dental Services


    Accidental Death

    $25,000 (principal sum)

    Dismemberment and Paralysis

    Up to $50,000 (varies by type of loss)

    Benefit Period for AD&D

    1 year (from the date of the covered accident)


    *The coverage benefits described on this website are a summary of benefits only; please contact the Secondary School Cooperative Risk Management Program Risk Office to reference the policy for specific information on policy coverage and exclusions.

  • How much does the coverage cost?

    Camp/Activity Type

    Cost (Per Participant)

    Educational & Recreational Sports Activities (Excluding Tackle Football)

    $0.49 per day

    Educational & Recreational Tackle Football Activities

    $0.81 per day

  • Is Coverage Available for Vendors/Exhibitors or Performers?

    If there will be a Vendor/Exhibitor or a Performer at your event, you must obtain a copy of their Liability Certificate of Insurance (COI) with you/your group and the school named as an Additional Insured. If Vendors, Exhibitors do not have this coverage, they may apply using the Event Liability Application Form found on this website. If Performers/Entertainers need liability coverage, they may call us at 1-866-838-9536, Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm (CT) and we will assist them with their coverage needs.


    The insurance requirements differ based on whether or not the Vendor or Performer is also hosting/organizing the event.


    If you are a Vendor/Exhibitor at an event, and you are not hosting/organizing the event, please select Exhibitor/ Vendor and complete the applicable application questions.


    If you are you are a Vendor/Exhibitor AND you are Hosting/Organizing the event, please select Host/Organizer first and then indicate whether you are also an Exhibitor/Vendor and answer the applicable application questions.


    If you are a Performer AND you are Hosting/Organizing the event, and you need insurance for both, two steps are necessary. Please apply using the event liability application on this page as the Host/Organizer for liability coverage for your event. For liability coverage as a Performer, please call us at 1‐866‐838‐9536, Monday – Friday, 8am‐5pm (CT) and we will assist you with finding coverage.


    Please click the blue “Event Liability Application Form” button to download the application. Once completed and signed, please email the application to our service center at plsdsteam.service@mercer.com.

Claims Reporting

  • How to Report a TULIP Claim to Philadelphia Insurance Company

    1. Gather the Facts

      When reporting a notice of loss (injury, property damage to third parties, auto accidents, etc.; related to a registered event), please provide as much detail as possible. This should include, but not be limited to, Insured Name (Your University plus student organization/club name), Contact Name (student organization/club), Policy Number, Claimant Name, Claimant Contact Information, Date of Loss, Location of Loss, Cause of Loss, Your Policy or Reference Number, Initial Steps Taken to Mitigate the Loss, Type (s) and Description of Damage and Estimated Amount of Loss.

    2. Report
    3. Follow Up
    4. The claims customer service department will immediately process your first notice of loss and you will be contacted by your servicing representative.

  • How to Report an Excess Accident Medical Claim to Philadelphia Insurance Company

    The complete instructions and claim form may be downloaded from the Download Forms button on this page.

    Mail or email the fully completed claim form, each Itemized Bill (and the prescription, if applicable) and the corresponding EOB to the following address: (Please include the Policy Number on all correspondence)

    NAHGA Claim Services
    P.O. Box 189
    Bridgton, ME 04009
    Fax 207-647-4569
    Phone 1-800-952-4320

    Please remember, the policy is an Accident insurance policy. It does not provide reimbursement for illness or for injuries that are not the result of an Accident. It is subject to exclusions and limitations. The policy may also contain a deductible which may be the claimant’s responsibility. Please be aware that the claim form contains state mandated fraud warning language that requires your review and signature.


We're here to help! Please contact us in whatever manner is most convenient for you.

 Direct Phone
 M-F 8a-5p CST
 Mailing Address
Program Administrator
Mercer Consumer
a service of Mercer Health & Benefits Administration LLC
PO Box 14521
Des Moines, IA 50306
 Street Address for Express Shipments
Program Administrator
Mercer Consumer
12421 Meredith Drive
Urbandale, IA 50398

Mercer's Role & Compensation